RT 5 Nov 2013
Members and supporters of hacktivist collective Anonymous are marking Guy Fawkes Day with a global ‘Million Mask March’ to protest against government corruption, corporate malfeasance and the expanding surveillance state.
The global action on November 5 coincides with Guy Fawkes Day, which is celebrated by Britain with fireworks to remind of the botched attempt to blow up the Parliament in 1605. But the image of the notorious plotter has a new meaning for Anonymous and their supporters today. The Guy Fawkes mask was adopted by the hacker activists from the V for Vendetta graphic novel and film as a symbol of the anarchic fight against tyranny.
Cities in Japan, Australia, and New Zealand have already started their local events. Activists in Europe and US are expected to join soon. Event organizers have planned rallies and marches at 450 locations around the world, although the majority of the events have thus far attracted between several dozen people or a couple of hundred people.
- ‘We are legion!’ Anonymous allies stand up against corruption in global march (therebel.org)
- Million Mask March Today! Anonymous Supporters Rally Worldwide to Protest Corruption, Police State (2012thebigpicture.wordpress.com)
- ‘We Are Legion!’ Anonymous Allies Stand Up Against Corruption In Global March (libertycrier.com)
- Guy Fawkes Day: Why ‘V for Vendetta’ is More Important Than Ever (rinf.com)
- It’s Guy Fawkes Day – Here’s A Factory That Mass Produces Those Masks For Protesters Around The World (businessinsider.com)
- Anonymous Holds Worldwide ‘Million Mask March’ to Protest Corruption (endtimebibleprophecy.wordpress.com)
- Guy Fawkes Day: Why ‘V for Vendetta’ is More Important Than Ever (disinfo.com)
- Protesters wearing Guy Fawkes masks – ‘We are legion!’ Anonymous allies stand up against corruption in global march (inquiringminds.cc)
- We are legion: Masked Anonymous allies march around the world (tomohalloran.com)
- Guy Fawkes Mask-Wearing Marchers Descend on D.C. (washington.cbslocal.com)